How much wood can a woodchuck chuck?
August 24, 2017
Each morning as I emerge from the docent's bedroom area, I am immediately transported to the 1800's as I step into the historic Knight upper floor with its two bedrooms. I can so easily picture in my mind the seven Knight children (who would have still been children when this home was built) arising and preparing for the day. As I come down the stairway into the historic Knight kitchen, I see Polly, in my mind's eye, busily engaged in making breakfast for her family. I then pass through the historic Knight parlor and I think to myself, "Good morning, Knight family! I am so privileged to be a guest in your lovely home. Thank you for making me feel so welcome here." Even after 15 days of being here, and numerous tours where I have told the Knight family's story, I sometimes still can't believe that I'm living in my ancestor's farmhouse! They say it takes two weeks to form a habit, and I can officially say that we have a Knight and Stowell home habit. We have fallen in love with both of these homes while we've been here.
We did some laundry today at the Stowell home, and while our clothes were washing and drying, we took some time to do a thorough cleaning of the home in preparation for our transition with the new docent couple in a few days. The Stowell home is 217 years old, but it is still a very beautiful home. It is very different from the Knight farmhouse with much more space and it is more elaborate, but both homes have a wonderful, inviting spirit about them that we are going to miss. I am already missing these homes, and we haven't even left yet. Every time I think about leaving, I get an ache in my chest and feel a longing to stay here. If my children and grandchildren were here, I could live out my days in this beautiful place.
There is a woodchuck that lives behind the Stowell home that we have affectionately named Punxsutawney Phil. He is usually near the back corner of the house when we pull up. He's a speedy little fellow or we would have snapped a picture of him. He's there to greet us as we pull up, and then he dashes off to hide somewhere. The birds that have been nesting outside one of the Stowell bedroom windows are getting ready to leave the nest. Sometimes there are only one or two of them in the nest now, so they are starting to fly, and they are only occasionally in the nest when we are at the home.
We made another trip over to the beautiful Village of Sidney today. The drive there is visually stunning. We had some errands to take care of there, and we thoroughly enjoyed the drive there and back. We passed through the Village of Bainbridge on our way there with its three different churches, each a different denomination, right in a row.
We learned today that Nineveh (where the Knight farmhouse is located) is considered a hamlet and it belongs to the township of Colesville. Nineveh itself is comprised of 50 homes on the banks of the Susquehanna. We visited the general store on Nineveh's main road. It is the place where everyone in the area congregates for lunch and the locals all love it.
Each morning as I emerge from the docent's bedroom area, I am immediately transported to the 1800's as I step into the historic Knight upper floor with its two bedrooms. I can so easily picture in my mind the seven Knight children (who would have still been children when this home was built) arising and preparing for the day. As I come down the stairway into the historic Knight kitchen, I see Polly, in my mind's eye, busily engaged in making breakfast for her family. I then pass through the historic Knight parlor and I think to myself, "Good morning, Knight family! I am so privileged to be a guest in your lovely home. Thank you for making me feel so welcome here." Even after 15 days of being here, and numerous tours where I have told the Knight family's story, I sometimes still can't believe that I'm living in my ancestor's farmhouse! They say it takes two weeks to form a habit, and I can officially say that we have a Knight and Stowell home habit. We have fallen in love with both of these homes while we've been here.
![]() |
| We sleep under this fun quilt every night. I want to make one like it. |
We did some laundry today at the Stowell home, and while our clothes were washing and drying, we took some time to do a thorough cleaning of the home in preparation for our transition with the new docent couple in a few days. The Stowell home is 217 years old, but it is still a very beautiful home. It is very different from the Knight farmhouse with much more space and it is more elaborate, but both homes have a wonderful, inviting spirit about them that we are going to miss. I am already missing these homes, and we haven't even left yet. Every time I think about leaving, I get an ache in my chest and feel a longing to stay here. If my children and grandchildren were here, I could live out my days in this beautiful place.
| The front entrance to the Josiah Stowell home. |
![]() |
| The parlor in the Josiah Stowell home. |
![]() |
| Another view of the parlor in the Josiah Stowell home |
There is a woodchuck that lives behind the Stowell home that we have affectionately named Punxsutawney Phil. He is usually near the back corner of the house when we pull up. He's a speedy little fellow or we would have snapped a picture of him. He's there to greet us as we pull up, and then he dashes off to hide somewhere. The birds that have been nesting outside one of the Stowell bedroom windows are getting ready to leave the nest. Sometimes there are only one or two of them in the nest now, so they are starting to fly, and they are only occasionally in the nest when we are at the home.
| One of three baby birds getting ready to leave the nest. |
We made another trip over to the beautiful Village of Sidney today. The drive there is visually stunning. We had some errands to take care of there, and we thoroughly enjoyed the drive there and back. We passed through the Village of Bainbridge on our way there with its three different churches, each a different denomination, right in a row.
| St. Peter's Episcopalian church in the Village of Bainbridge |
| The Presbyterian church in the Village of Bainbridge |
| The Baptist church in the Village of Bainbridge. |
| A scene on the way to the Village of Sidney |
We learned today that Nineveh (where the Knight farmhouse is located) is considered a hamlet and it belongs to the township of Colesville. Nineveh itself is comprised of 50 homes on the banks of the Susquehanna. We visited the general store on Nineveh's main road. It is the place where everyone in the area congregates for lunch and the locals all love it.
| The Nineveh general store. |



Is there a restaurant of some kind at the general store, or do they just buy packaged sandwiches and drinks for lunch?
ReplyDeleteThey serve fresh baked goods and also have different hot dishes each day. The locals all eat there.
ReplyDelete